The academic setting has a significant influence on the well-being of children and teens. Effective school leadership is, therefore, essential in promoting a healthy school environment. This book, the first of its kind in Hong Kong, establishes the kind of leadership a health-promoting school needs to be successful. It explains the steps school leaders should take to promote health, beginning with an explanation of the link between health and education, and then moving into a discussion of how schools can be transformed and what sort of leaders are required for such a transformation. These changes can be applied in individual classrooms and schools, as well as more broadly across whole education systems.
The theoretical healthy school framework outlined in the main text by Dr Robin Cheung, a seasoned scholar-practitioner in the field of school health promotion, is complemented by success stories written from interviews conducted by Dr Cheung’s co-authors, which are included in the supplemental material of the book. These anecdotes and quotes from these stories enliven the text and narrate how principals in Hong Kong have transformed their schools into successful and thriving health-promoting educational settings. This volume draws particular attention to the role of leadership and management in promoting health and learning in educational and academic settings that will be of interest to school leaders, policy makers, and educators alike.
Leading Healthy and Thriving Schools in Hong Kong: Theory and Practice is the first book in the Healthy Settings Series, which focuses on the upstream, midstream, and downstream approaches for improving population health and reducing health inequity in various settings and contexts.
- List of Tables(第ix頁)
- List of Figures and Diagrams(第xi頁)
- Series Foreword(第xv頁)
- Albert Lee(第xix頁)
- Allan Walker(第xxiii頁)
- Lawrence St Leger(第xxvii頁)
- Didier Jourdan(第xxxi頁)
- Chapter 1 Education and Health(第1頁)
- Chapter 2 The Hong Kong Context for School Health Promotion(第17頁)
- Chapter 3 How to Prepare the School for the Health Promotion Journey(第27頁)
- Chapter 4 Setting Out on the Journey(第33頁)
- Chapter 5 Leadership of the Healthy School(第47頁)
- Chapter 6 Preparing for the Leadership Role(第55頁)
- Chapter 7 System Leadership and the Healthy Schools Movement(第81頁)
- Chapter 8 Concluding Remarks(第89頁)
- Appendix A The WHO’s Definition of a Health-Promoting School(第93頁)
- Appendix B The Healthy School Model in Hong Kong(第95頁)
- Appendix C Accounts of School Leaders who Succeeded in Leading their Schools towards Health Promotion(第97頁)
- Appendix D Promoting School Health as a Christian School Head(第143頁)
- About the Editors and Contributors(第159頁)