Whether you want to participate in ballet or just watch it, the ballet experience can excite and inspire you. Ballet is among the most beautiful forms of expression ever devised: an exquisite mix of sight and sound, stunning, aesthetics, and awesome technique.
Ballet For Dummies is for anyone who wants to enjoy all that the dance forms offers – as an onlooker who wants to get a leg up on the forms you're likely to see or as an exercise enthusiast who understands that the practice of ballet can help you gain:
Better body alignment
Confidence in movement
Comfort through stress reduction
Infinite grace – for life
From covering the basics of classical ballet to sharing safe and sensible ways to try your hand (and toes) at moving through the actual dance steps, this expert reference shows you how to:
Build your appreciation for ballet from the ground up.
Choose the best practice space and equipment.
Warm up to your leap into the movements.
Locate musical options for each exercise.
Look for certain lifts in a stage performance.
Tell a story with gestures.
Picture a day in the life of a professional ballet dancer.
Identify best-loved classic and contemporary ballets.
Speak the language of ballet.
Today you can find a ballet company in almost every major city on earth. Many companies have their own ballet schools – some for training future professionals, and others for interested amateurs. As you fine-tune your classical ballet technique – or even if you just like to read about it – you'll become better equipped to fully appreciate the great choreography and many styles of the dance. Ballet For Dummies raises the curtain on a world of beauty, grace, poise, and possibility!
- About This Book(第1頁)
- Conventions Used in This Book(第2頁)
- Foolish Assumptions(第2頁)
- How This Book Is Organized(第3頁)
- Icons Used in This Book(第4頁)
- Where to Go from Here(第5頁)
- Part 1 Ballet Dancing from the Top(第7頁)
- Chapter 1 Curtain Up! Welcome to the Ballet(第9頁)
- Chapter 2 Stocking the Tools of the Trade(第17頁)
- Chapter 3 Getting Toasty: Warming Up Your Body(第31頁)
- Chapter 4 Leaping into Ballet Basics(第47頁)
- Chapter 5 Music, Maestro!(第63頁)
- Part 2 Belly Up to the Barre(第73頁)
- Chapter 6 Basic Barre-Tending(第75頁)
- Chapter 7 Stepping It Up at the Barre(第97頁)
- Chapter 8 Getting a Leg Up(第115頁)
- Part 3 Center Floor, Anyone?(第137頁)
- Chapter 9 Getting to Center Floor(第139頁)
- Chapter 10 Ballet’s Tasmanian Devil: The Pirouette(第155頁)
- Chapter 11 Linking It Together: The Steps Between the Steps(第173頁)
- Chapter 12 Ground Control to Ballet Dancer(第187頁)
- Chapter 13 Getting More Air Time(第205頁)
- Part 4 Living the Ballet Life(第219頁)
- Chapter 14 Partners Aren’t Just for Square Dancing(第221頁)
- Chapter 15 Exploring Choreography(第235頁)
- Chapter 16 What the Heck Are They Saying? The Art of Ballet Mime(第249頁)
- Chapter 17 Watching Ballet in Action(第267頁)
- Part 5 The Part of Tens(第281頁)
- Chapter 18 The Ten Most Commonly Used Ballet Steps(第283頁)
- Chapter 19 Ten Best-Loved Classical Ballets(第287頁)
- Chapter 20 Ten Great “Contemporary” Ballets(第295頁)
- Chapter 21 The Ten Best Ballet Terms for Cocktail Parties(第303頁)
- Chapter 22 Ten Fascinating Facts about Professional Ballet Dancers(第307頁)
- Glossary of Ballet Terms(第315頁)