T-shirts: Appealing Apparel
No matter what the season is, you will see people wearing T-shirts. These simple items of clothing may have begun as undergarments, but it’s been a long time since they were regarded solely as such. Their climb to the height of being a top fashion accessory may have been slow and steady, but they’re certainly no longer on the bottom of the clothing drawer.
T-shirts are usually made of cotton. In the past, clothing was often made of wool and other coarse, itchy materials, so wearing underwear made of cotton kept skin comfortable. In World War I, American soldiers noticed European soldiers wearing these undergarments instead of their wool uniforms during the hot summers. While the trend of wearing them as undershirts caught on, it wasn’t until Hollywood superstars started wearing them as outer clothing that they found acceptance.
In 1955, the film Rebel without a Cause starred James Dean wearing jeans and a white T-shirt under a red jacket. This was considered the turning point, and as people started copying his style, the T-shirt’s popularity grew. By the 1960s and ’70s, T-shirts started taking on new looks. Instead of being plain white, T-shirts of many colors started showing up, and ones with printing on them became standard.
- Headlines─ALL+ News Review 新聞回顧(第6頁)
- Literature─Rikki-Tikki-Tavi 《貓鼬》(第9頁)
- Events─Pop-Up Book Magic 立體書的異想世界(第16頁)
- Father’s Day─A Letter from a Father to His Children 父親的一封信(第20頁)
- Dialogue Focus(第24頁)
- Inside a Supermarket 圖解超級市場(第24頁)
- A Trip to the Grocery Store 購物英語：超市採買篇(第26頁)
- Fashion─T-Shirts: Appealing Apparel T 恤：經典不敗的時尚宣言(第30頁)
- Animals─The Healing Power of Dolphins 海豚的神奇療癒力(第34頁)
- Writing─Translation Practice 翻譯寫作(第39頁)
- Environment─Food for Thought 食物浪費的省思(第44頁)
- Technology─The Future of Flight? 超炫！直升飛機翱翔天際(第48頁)
- Health─Cracking a Myth 為什麼扳手指會發出劈啪聲？(第52頁)
- News─CNN. News Vancouver: Canada’s Gateway to Asia 亞裔移民成就溫哥華多元文化(第54頁)
- Plus Talk─On the Telephone 電話英語(第56頁)
- NGC─Forensics’ First Fingerprints 協助破案的利器──指紋分析(第62頁)
- Topic Writing─Writing an Invitation 撰寫邀請函(第66頁)