Start picking the five-string banjo like a pro with this definitive guide to bluegrass banjo! Whether you’re an absolute beginner or an experienced player, Bluegrass Banjo For Dummies gets you started off the right way and is your road map for mastering today’s most popular traditional and contemporary banjo picking styles. Online audio and video clips combine with the book’s clear step-by-step instructions to provide the most complete – and fun - banjo instruction experience available anywhere!
Bluegrass banjo has never been more popular and is heard today not only in country and folk music, but in jazz, rock and country styles. Bluegrass Banjo For Dummies provides everything you need to know to play just about any kind of music on the five-string banjo by getting you started with the roll patterns essential to Scruggs style picking. You’ll then add left-hand techniques such as slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs, play great sounding licks and perform classic tunes like “Cripple Creek” and “Old Joe Clark.” You’ll navigate up the neck on the instrument as well as learn the essential skills you need to play with others in jam sessions and in bands. You’ll even tackle contemporary banjo styles using melodic and single-string scales and picking techniques.
Choose a banjo and accessories that are just right for you and your budget.
Explore the fingerboard using melodic and single-string playing styles.
Accompany others in different keys with roll patterns and chord vamping techniques.
Keep your banjo sounding its best with practical and easy set up tips.
Bill Evans is one of the world’s most popular banjo players and teachers, with over forty years of professional experience. In Bluegrass Banjo For Dummies, he shares the tips, secrets and shortcuts that have helped thousands of musicians, including many of today’s top young professionals, to become great banjo players.
- About This Book(第1頁)
- Icons Used in This Book(第3頁)
- Beyond the Book(第3頁)
- Where to Go from Here(第4頁)
- Part I : Getting Started with Bluegrass Banjo(第5頁)
- Chapter 1 : Bluegrass Music and the Banjo(第7頁)
- Chapter 2 : Finding the Perfect Bluegrass Banjo and Getting the Gear You Need(第19頁)
- Chapter 3 : Hitting the Ground Running: Tuning, Reading Music, and Making Chords(第35頁)
- Chapter 4 : Fretting and Picking(第49頁)
- Part II : Let’s Roll! Scruggs‐Style Banjo Essentials(第69頁)
- Chapter 5 : Picking Techniques: Roll Patterns(第71頁)
- Chapter 6 : Fretting Techniques and Putting the Hands Together(第89頁)
- Chapter 7 : Getting Bona Fide: Playing Licks and Classic Tunes(第109頁)
- Chapter 8 : Working Up Your Own Scruggs‐Style Solos(第137頁)
- Part III : Playing in the Band: Backup Essentials(第167頁)
- Chapter 9 : Getting Started: Playing Down‐the‐Neck Backup(第169頁)
- Chapter 10 : Taking It Higher: Playing Up‐the‐Neck Backup(第183頁)
- Part IV : Progressive Banjo: Melodic and Single‐String Styles(第207頁)
- Chapter 11 : Melodic‐Style Banjo(第209頁)
- Chapter 12 : Single‐String Banjo(第229頁)
- Part V : Keeping Your Banjo in Top Shape(第245頁)
- Chapter 13 : Setup Essentials: Getting the Best Sound from Your Banjo(第247頁)
- Chapter 14 : All Strings Considered: Choosing and Changing Strings(第259頁)
- Part VI : The Part of Tens(第273頁)
- Chapter 15 : Ten (Or So) Groundbreaking Bluegrass Banjo Players(第275頁)
- Chapter 16 : Ten Strategies to Make You a Better Player (Right Now!)(第281頁)
- Part VII : Appendixes(第287頁)
- Appendix A : A Guide to Chords, Notes, and Major Scales(第289頁)
- Appendix B : Audio Tracks and Video Clips(第299頁)