Good morning- Taipei!
A good year starts in the spring, a good day starts in the morning.” This old aphorism is the inspiration for this issue’s “Good Morning, Taipei” theme, with articles describing the beauties of the dawn hours, introducing the early morning exercise routines of Taipei residents, taking you into traditional morning markets – and deeper into the world of the Taipei folk you’ll be meeting during your time here.
In our Taipei Metamorphosis section we tell you about what’s new, including the most recent winners of the Taipei Urban Landscape Awards, the Black Forest secret garden in Zhuzihu up on Yangmingshan, the renovated Nanmon-cho 323 in Taipei Botanical Garden, and the whimsical Moon Bus large-scale installation art in Xinyi District. These novel attractions fill any exploration of the city with endless pleasant discoveries, and with the newly opened Taipei Metro Songshan Line and Fun Travel in Taipei App, a tour of Taipei is now ultra-convenient.
This issue covers the Chinese New Year period, and in our In-Depth City Culture Explorations section we present the traditional folk art of lion dancing, and the craftsmanship involved in painting the lion’s head. In our Exploring Taipei Tastes & Gifts editon we answer the common questions of what to eat and what gifts to buy for Chinese New Year, taking you to restaurants serving classic military dependents’ village fare and providing suggestions on nifty New Year-themed gifts for family and friends. If interested in learning all about how Taipei folk go about buying all their traditional New Year necessities, spend time in our Taipei Slow Living section, taking a day-tour of the Taipei Main Station Rear Area, where you can load up on all sorts of new gadgets and curios. With a nod to the 2015 Taipei International Book Exhibition, we bring you through the doors of finest of many special independent bookstores scattered around the city, where book-loving travelers immerse themselves in Taipei’s heady book-reading culture.
Taipei has been selected as the 2016 World Design Capital. In the lead-up to the event, what changes has the city seen? Visit our Taipei Designing department, where we’ll tell you how transformer boxes, walls, and bridge piers are being used as street-art canvases. In What’s New in Taipei Arts we introduce the Taipei Arts Awards, Taipei in Films exhibition, Angling for Years of Plenty: A Special Exhibition of Paintings with Fish at the National Palace Museum, and other happenings that shine a spotlight on this city’s imagination and aesthetic allure.
A friendly “Good morning” conveys Taipei residents’ kindheartedness. “Congratulations, get rich!” conveys their New Year warmth and joyous spirit. Enjoy Taipei’s vitality and festive flavor this January and February!
- Taipei Focus(第4頁)
- The Beauty of Taipei at First Light(第4頁)
- Taipei’s Energetic Mornings(第6頁)
- Taipei’s Bustling Morning Markets(第10頁)
- Taipei Metamorphosis(第14頁)
- Taipei's Alluring New Attractions - The Taipei Urban Landscape Awards(第14頁)
- Zhuzihu's Black Forest - A New Destination for a Romantic Rendezvous(第16頁)
- Nanmon-cho 323 - The Reappearance of a Japanese Zen Garden(第18頁)
- The Moon Bus - A New Taipei Arts Landmark(第20頁)
- Download the Fun Travel in Taipei App - Explore the Newest Taipei Metro Line(第21頁)
- In-Depth City Culture Explorations The Ancient Art of the Lion Dance(第22頁)
- Exploring Taipei Tastes & Gifts(第26頁)
- Authentic Dishes From Taiwan’s Military Communities: Nostalgic Flavors From Both North and South(第26頁)
- Chinese New Year Gifts – Expressing Wishes for Fortune and Prosperity(第31頁)
- Taipei Slow Living(第34頁)
- Shopping in Taipei Main Station Rear Area - Savor the Atmosphere of Chinese New Year(第34頁)
- Browsing Taipei's Indie Bookstores(第38頁)
- Lantern Viewing in Taipei(第42頁)
- Taipei Folk, In Their Own Words(第44頁)
- Veteran Backpacker Nisan Takes Us on a Tour of Taipei(第44頁)
- Annie Ivanova: Merging Cultures Through the Importing and Exporting of Creativity(第46頁)
- Jake Hemingway: The Skater With a Message(第48頁)
- How to Talk to Taipei(第49頁)
- Taipei Designing(第50頁)
- Encounter Colorful Paintings in the Streets and Alleys of Taipei(第50頁)
- Taiwanese Cutting-Edge Fashion Displays a Unique Radiance(第52頁)
- What's New in Taipei Arts(第56頁)
- The 2014 Taipei Arts Awards – A New Generation of Dynamic Artists(第56頁)
- Taipei in Films – A Window Into the City’s Many Past Faces(第58頁)
- The National Palace Museum Over the New Year – Paintings of Fish by the Great Masters(第60頁)
- Taipei Events Guide(第62頁)
- January-February Arts Exhibition Calendar(第62頁)
- Airport Transportation, Taipei Visitor Information Centers, Maps, and Other Practical Information(第65頁)
Taipei City Government is pushing Taipei forward into the 21st century. Since September 1997, the Department of Information and Tourism has published an English bimonthly magazine—'Discover Taipei.' The magazine's goal is to furnish foreign residents and visitors worldwide with complete information about Taipei City. 'Discover Taipei's contents highlight Taipei's history, culture, customs, artistic events, daily goings-on, as well as her relationships with other cities.